Thursday 21 January 2010

Digital Broadcasting Newsday 1: Flagship Programme.

During our news day we successfully produced a magazine style programme with one presenter and several packages. Primark had announced it was going to replace BHS in Bournemouth. Our programme covers news in Bournemouth, Poole and the New Forest; therefore it was a relevant story as it affected local shoppers. After filming a few GVs of the area and shots of the front of the shop, I was hoping to interview the manager of BHS; however the staff were unable to talk about the issue. A drawback of using TV as a medium is that it is difficult to convince people to talk to you, and it is very time consuming. However, the benefits of using TV as a medium outweigh the drawbacks. For example, pictures can convey where the new Primark is going to be, and it is more interesting for an audience to have something to look at. I filmed a few vox pops, asking people what they thought about Primark replacing BHS, remembering the rule of thirds and looking space, and being careful to alternate sides when interviewing different people. I headed back to university with my footage.

When I returned, I was told that firemen were on the beach testing out their new equipment. This was a breaking news story and we were hoping for an exclusive, so a colleague and I went down to film the story. We interviewed Stuart Gillian from Dorset Fire and Rescue Service, who explained exactly what they were doing on the beach. I managed to film some great shots of the firemen wading through the water, testing their equipment. In the middle of the test, Mr Gillian came out of the water to explain what they were doing. This turned out to be a good package and appropriate for TV because it showed what exactly the firemen were doing and had some nice pictures of the beach, which would be interesting to a local audience.

Firemen at Bournemouth beach from Emma Wilson on Vimeo.



I captured the footage off my camera, wrote a presenter cue and editorial script and edited the package. Unfortunately the first interview was fairly dark (as the light was coming from behind the interviewee) and in future I will bring a reflector on location so that I can set up good shots regardless of where the light is coming from. In the second clip when Mr Gillian is explaining what they are doing, he refers to “woolly bears” which is a colloquial term for their uniforms, and it is not clear to viewers what they are referring to. In future I will cut out parts of a clip that do not make sense to an audience.



Our news programme met my expectations; we were organised, worked well as a team and were set up in the studio an hour before our broadcast, therefore we had the opportunity to have a few run-throughs so that our live broadcast would go smoothly. I was operating the autocue system so I rehearsed with the presenter to make sure the scripts were in the right order and to check we had a good speed. Overall our live broadcast was very successful and I am very pleased with how our first television news day turned out.

iNews 20th January 2010 from Adam Parker on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment